Why is Protonix prescribed?
Protonix/Pantoprazole comes under the medications known as proton pump inhibitors. Protonix is used for short-term treatment of heartburn and injury of the food pipe (esophagus) caused by backward flow of acid from the stomach. Protonix helps to reduce the amount of acid made in the stomach.
Sometime doctor prescribed this medicine another purpose also.
|Protonix Capsule 40 mg|
How should Protonix be used?
Protonix/Pantoprazole comes as an extended-release (long-acting) tablet to take by mouth. Patients are taken once a day, with or without food. Do not split, chew, or crush the tablets; swallow them whole. Protonix/Pantoprazole is usually taken for 8 weeks, but your doctor may want you to take it for another 8 weeks if your esophagus has not healed. At the time of prescribing of this medicine must ask about direction of use. Take Protonix/pantoprazole exactly as directed. Do not take this medicine more it causes adverse effects.
Symptoms of heartburn and injury to the esophagus should improve within 8 weeks of beginning Protonix/pantoprazole. If this medicine is not work immediately inform your doctor or pharmacist. Once you and your doctor are sure the drug works for you, continue to take Protonix/pantoprazole even if you feel well. Nowadays people are directly stop taking of medication without any inform the doctor, so don't do like that.
How to store the Protonix/pantoprazole?
This medicine is hygroscopic in nature so alway Keep this medicine in day and well closed container. Keep this medicine from small children. when this medicine is expired dispose of the medicine proper way.
What should I do if I forget a dose of Protonix?
If the dose is missed then don’t take overdose it may cause side effects.your regular dosing schedule.
In case of Protonix emergency/overdose
In case of Protonix overdose, inform your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the patients are not breathing, inform local emergency services at 911..
What side effects can Protonix cause?
Although side effects from Protonix/pantoprazole are not common, they can occur.
- upset stomach
- stomach pain
- mild rash
- back, neck, or joint pain
If you face any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- chest pain
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- rash or hives
- severe skin rash with swelling and peeling
- swollen face, lower legs, or ankles
- vision changes
- yellowing of skin or eyes
- slow movements
- speech problems
- increased salivation
- difficulty maintaining balance
- ringing in the ears
- sinus or upper respiratory tract infection
Pantoprazole may cause hyperglycemia (high blood sugar). If you have any of the following symptoms of hyperglycemia, call your doctor immediately:
- dry mouth
- dry skin
- frequent urination
- lost of appetite
- trouble breathing
What special Protonix precautions should I follow?
Before taking Protonix/pantoprazole,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to lansoprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole, rabeprazole, or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially ampicillin, iron-containing medications (including multivitamins), ketoconazole (Nizoral), and vitamins and herbal products.
- tell your doctor if you face any type of liver disease in future.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. Don’t take this medicine at the time of pregnancy without informe to doctor.
- If you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking pantoprazole.
Protonix Dosage form
Protonix is administered in the patient’s body in two forms.
1.Protonix Dosage Injection form
This is where the requirement volume of the drug is put inside the syringe thereafter injected directly to the patient’s blood stream. Precautions should be taken when using the injection form of administering protonix to avoid injuries.
For injections protonix may be administered intravenously through y-line or dedicated line. The dedicated line must be flushed 5 minutes before administration of the drug with either 6%dextrose injection, 0.9% saline solution or lactated Ringer injection. For y-line, protonix injection is compatible with the following; 0.9% saline solution, 6%dextrouse, and lactated Ringer injection.
2.Protonix Dosage Oral form.
This is whereby the protonix medicine comes in form of a soluble powder, granules or pills. The powder is mixed with the correct amount of the appropriate liquid and it is taken orally while the pills and granules are taken normally as any other drug. Pills come in different dosage amount which are:
- A. protonix 40mg pills
- B. protonix 20mg pills
Pills and granules should be taken before or after meals. They should not be chewed or even split the capsules type of tablet.
The oral suspension should be taken with fruit juice 30 minutes before or after having meals. It should also be taken 10 minutes after preparation. To ensure that you have taken the entire dosage, rinse the glass with water and swallow immediately.
Usual Protonix dosage
- Adults: The usual protonix dosage is 40mg of protonix daily for 8 weeks.
- Children >5: The usual dose is 25mg of protonix daily for 8weeks.
If by the eighth week you have not yet recovered, you should see your doctor or a physician concerned.